Thursday, July 28, 2005

My new favorite place to buy neat cheese is... Safeway. Yes, Safeway. Not Whole Foods. The Whole Foods in San Ramon (and its parking lot) is why there's a waiting period to buy guns. Anyway, Safeway--in it's determination to be like Whole Foods but with Ho Hos and Pepsi products--has put in a little cooler with gourmet cheeses right next to its new olive bar. My thing is to try one new cheese every time I go in there, and the two cheeses I've tried so far have been hits. A few weeks ago I tried Dubliner Irish cheese and really liked it (good with stout!). Last week I picked up some white Stilton with lemon peel and loved it. I cannot get enough of this cheese. They suggest on the label to chop it up and serve in a green salad, which is excellent. I read somewhere to try it on a gingersnap. Must do that.