Monday, June 09, 2008

So Ben, Chris and I went over to my dad's bank on Friday and closed his checking and savings accounts for which we received three sizable checks. I was tootling around the IRS website today looking for info on whether this will be counted as taxable income for me next year, when I came across the following:

"Bribes. If you receive a bribe, include it in your income."

and,
"Stolen property. If you steal property, you must report its fair market value in your income in the year you steal it unless in the same year, you return it to its rightful owner."


I've never noticed a space for that on the 1040. Do you need to go back to the person you stole the stuff from and get a 1099? What if you have trouble fencing the stuff? Can you take a loss? Does the IRS actually have a sense of humor?

Read it for yourself in Publication 525 (2007) under Other Income.