Wednesday, December 17, 2008


Isis loves hummus. She knows this pizza has hummus on it and will not back off. This is a small pizza I threw together out of what I found in the fridge: my favorite Mediterranean style flatbread spread with a hummus base, crumbled feta, slivered sun dried tomatoes and shredded romano.

As I've been doing almost every week for the past few months, I tried out a couple of new recipes last week in order to build a set of relatively easy, healthy things to make at home. The home run was a spicy mushroom, cabbage and rice soup from Apartment Therapy. This can be easily tweaked with different ingredients, like adding chicken or turkey or substituting different grains. It actually got less spicy over the three days I ate it.

The big miss for the week was a roasted broccoli "pesto" from Vegetarian Times mag. The recipe said that roasting broccoli would bring out richer flavor... well, not exactly. Roasting broccoli brought out the burnt flavor. And it took me forever to get the odor out of the house (in freezing weather, I might add). I like Veggie Times and will probably renew my sub, but their recipes are very hit-or-miss.

Labels: ,