Saturday, September 06, 2008

Dumb episodes caused by really hot weather: first of all, this photo is from an incident back in late June when a 12-pack of Diet Pepsi that I was too lazy to carry in from the car exploded in my back seat on one of the many days that topped 100 degrees. I think it was about 106 this particular day. The first can exploded as I was driving out of the parking lot at work, and luckily I still had the empty cooler from our ash-scattering (ash-dumping?) trip to Mendocino in the back, so I was able to put the soda cans in there. Two more exploded before I got home. At the time, work was insanely busy so the cans stayed in the cooler for a couple of weeks, where they got all moldy and gross and I ended up having to clean the cooler out with baking soda and vinegar in my bathtub.

This afternoon I was making gazpacho for the second time this week 'cuz it's nearly 100 again today, when I dropped my fancy pepper mill (except mine is an earlier, less ergonomic model without the stand) into the soup. At that point I discovered I have no idea how to open the damn thing. Turning to the Web, I found several other bloggers who couldn't figure it out either, and posted instructions from the manufacturer. I got it rinsed out (not easy--peppercorns float), and am now hoping it will dry without rusting or molding.

My hands still hurt a lot so I haven't been able to knit for about 2 weeks, and even holding a book upright can cause pain. Instead, I've rediscovered jigsaw puzzles. I put this one together over about three evenings and a morning while watching the final season of Charmed on DVD. I am now working on a Peanuts-themed puzzle while I watch the first season of The Wire.

Labels: