Tuesday, June 27, 2006

After several days of temperatures hovering around 108 million degrees or so it's finally back down in the 90s. Today there is even a breeze and it's a little bit muggy. (By "muggy" I mean relative humidity has gone from 29% to 37%, which would make anyone from the East coast fall down laughing.) Hard to sleep when it's this hot and I always have wacky dreams when I sleep with my feet uncovered anyway, so haven't been getting a whole lot of rest lately.

On Sunday I went to the Oakland Zoo with Birgit, Amanda and Jared. Here I am trying in vain to interest Jared in a monkey. He's not buying it.

Mike is off on a Disney cruise this week so I have the office mostly to myself. Our private screening of Night Watch at the Roxie last week went mostly ok, and my last-minute desperation tchotchke idea of red mini maglites with a single black feather wired to them with the game logo went over very well.

Have made it to the next most infuriating level of Luxor, Inundation of the Nile. At this point I'm just saving the game files in a temp folder to reload when I lose so I'm not forced to repeat the beginning of a stage over and over and over. A little more labor intensive, but it keeps my blood pressure down.

Current obsession: BLTs--sometimes with avocado (no, not steamed ones) and sometimes not--especially when watching the World Cup.

Current reading: TS Eliot and Robert Shaler's book about the forensic process of identifying 9/11 victims. In kind of a downer phase, I guess.