Monday, April 06, 2009

The tree pollen count around here is at insane levels. I wake up every day with burning red eyes, my ears itch way down deep, and the tinnitus is especially loud. We've stopped saying "Bless you," and "Gesundheit," at work because we're all sneezing constantly. They're predicting rain soon and even though the weather's been beautiful, I really want it to rain to wash some of the pollen out of the air.

Anyone remember this game, Master Mind? We played it a lot in the 70s. I found this one at a used bookstore this weekend and was very excited. The "deluxe" version isn't my favorite (it forces you into matching the key pegs to the colored peg holes because otherwise there would be so many possibilities you'd run out of board space), but it's still a great game, in spite of the creepy box. I guess I found it less creepy living in Jakarta where lots of supercilious old bearded guys hung out with gorgeous Asian women (the original game box had different models).

This was talked about before on Facebook, but here's a photo of the labor-intensive teatini (in a PS2 glass, natch). I managed to remember to get sweet vermouth at the store and it improves the drink immensely. Dry vermouth mixed with the orange bitters is just too overwhelmingly tart and kills the tea flavor in the vodka.

Last night I reduced the balsamic vinegar before pouring it over the strawberries, and it was good--the thicker balsamic holds onto the fruit better. There's a controversy over whether to add sweetener of some kind to the vinegar as you reduce it. I did not, but would probably add a squirt of agave syrup or honey in the future if I'm going to put it on fruit.

Labels: ,