Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The baby doves hatched on Monday morning. We were starting to get worried about her because the gestation period for dove eggs is about 18 days and it was getting pretty close. This is a photo of mom sitting on the nest on Friday afternoon taken from the top of the stairs. Now we're worried about the babies falling off that beam.

Still no barn swallow nest on my patio. My neighbor's raucous party the other night shook loose most of the mud that was there. Maybe they gave it up as a bad location.

Today I awoke to temperatures that could almost be considered chilly. Supposedly it will stay reasonable for a couple more days before the flames of hell crank up again. I made nimbu pani, an Indian version of limeade this weekend. They drank it by the gallon in Midnight's Children, so I had to go look it up. The main difference comes from adding a pinch of salt that smooths out the sugar and tartness. Isis really likes it. I used about half as many limes as the recipe calls for to get 1 1/2 C, and the concentrate makes about 8 glasses.

Labels: ,