Sunday, August 16, 2009

One giant leek for mankind.

I try to buy most of my produce at Windmill Farms; the prices are significantly lower than at grocery stores, the quality is generally better, and the selection is far superior. Yesterday I needed a couple of leeks for the cold cucumber and leek soup I planned to make today, and they had some of the largest specimens I've ever seen. This one is 16".

I caught some of Ten Dollar Meals, the new show from this season's winner of TNFNS, and it's pretty good. Much better than Sandra Lee's silly bargain meals show that comes on right before. Today she made spaghetti and meatballs. Spaghetti is a cheap family dinner? Really, Sandra? And I can freeze my bread to keep it longer? Imagine that! At least Melissa's food was creative and interesting and she didn't insult my intelligence.

Two books that used bookshops probably couldn't have given away six months ago have suddenly become the hottest reads of the summer. I've been watching Merlin on NBC and was inspired to go back and pick up Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave, which I was never able to get into despite really enjoying her contemporary thrillers. Apparently I'm not the only one, as the book is sold out everywhere--used bookstores, thrift shops and Borders, as well as checked out from all the local libraries. Same with Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I'm waiting to see if the grocery stores start running low on butter and cream soon.

They're doing maintenance on the pond in front of my apartment (the man made pond that gives my street "Shoreline" it's ridiculous name) and in preparation they turned off the fountain about a week ago. I had no idea how much noise that running water screened, especially at night. Supposedly it will be off for about another week. I can't wait for them to be done, and neither can the poor ducks who are standing on piles of dry gravel and staring mournfully at the inch or two of murky water that's left.

Labels: