Thursday, February 19, 2009

Last night was a successful food night: I made a recipe from the newspaper, Chicken with Yellow Rice and Salsa (says it was originally from the Kansas City Star). Tasty and quick, I'd definitely make it again. The only things I'd tweak would be the chicken--I thought the breast cubes turned out a little bland even after throwing the cumin and lime juice in before they were completely done. Next time I might try thigh meat for a little more flavor. It also calls for fresh salsa for serving, which I didn't think it really needed and in fact made it too onion-y.

The other triumph is, finally, a good hummus. I've been working on various hummus recipes which all turn out either with a too-strong tahini flavor, or with a bland-ish oily flavor. Then I read somewhere that you can use yogurt instead of olive oil, and since I have greek yogurt leftover from the stroganoff, I made this recipe and it turned out great. A little bland even though I added a dash of red pepper flakes, but a good start.

Yay!

Labels: