Monday, April 13, 2009

The other day I was reminded of a lunch my mom and I went to at her friend's house in Jakarta where the woman served us tuna curry and we listened to a Naked Vicar comedy album, and she told us a story about getting locked out of her house and heaving a transformer through the window to break in. (Transformers back then were not cool alien robot toys, but freaking heavy green bricks that allowed us to use some of our Western electrical appliances in our Jakarta homes.) Looking back now it's kinda weird that she had to break a window to get in, because most houses in Jakarta were astoundingly easy to break into, especially as most had those glass louvers that you just slide out. I also wonder where her servants were.

Anyway, the point of this is that we had tuna curry for lunch, a dish that is super easy to make with pantry staples and really cheap. A lot of my little Australian friends ate it because it's very mild and only a curry in the sense that you dump in a tiny amount of curry powder. I used this recipe as the base with a few changes: swapping about a 1/2 cup of frozen peas for the bell pepper, and using greek yogurt for the sour cream. I found out too late that there was a lot less yogurt in the container than I thought but it came out fine. In the future I will also use canned tuna instead of packets because the packet tuna is a little too dry. I ate it over rice but it's also good over noodles or wrapped in naan. The cats were, needless to say, fascinated by this dinner.

This weekend I also made bread from scratch using an extremely basic recipe, which turned out pretty well. It came out of the oven at about 5pm and I ate three slices and then did not want the lentil soup I'd planned to make for dinner.

I picked up some Pepsi Natural at Target on Friday. It's "natural" because it's made with cane and beet sugar instead of HFCS. Pretty good. I thought it had a kind of coffee-ish flavor, though the ingredients don't indicate anything that would explain that. Apparently the Pepsi Raw they introduced last year in the UK has coffee leaf in it.

Labels: ,