Sunday, October 04, 2009

I experienced a pretty drastic example of saving money by shopping at Windmill Farms vs. grocery stores yesterday when I went to pick up a bunch of ingredients for a huge pot of Black Bean and Wheat Berry Chili (very good--highly recommended, but probably too spicy for Mom and Bob). At Windmill Farms I spent $4.92 on my produce (I also bought a couple of other items, including some organic spices that were being sold by the producer as a special thing). The same basket of produce at Safeway would have cost me $9.73, even with the Club Card discount. The only item the cost more at Windmill Farms than Safeway was the avocado.

Whole Foods is the only store around here that carries wheat berries and millet, but in the bulk bins so I was able to get out of there for a grand total of $1.86.

The weather today could actually be described as chilly. I had to turn off the ceiling fan this afternoon for the first time in about six months.

Labels: