Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The judges on Chopped are seriously mean. Alex Guarnaschelli may have cried in last week's episode when the winner broke down himself, but otherwise she's a steely bitch totally unlike her demeanor on The Cooking Loft. It also seems like even though the cockiest chefs on Top Chef are the ones that tend to do well, the most confident ones on Chopped are booted early on; they generally get burned (ho, ho) by the time limitations.

Continuing to clean out the fridge, I made a crustless quiche today based on a Veggie Times recipe using a pile of fresh(ish) spinach, some green onions I didn't know I had, and the rest of the pico de gallo (it's finally all gone!). A little on the bland side mostly because there's only a 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan when most quiches are much cheesier, but this is a good basic recipe into which you could throw all kinds of leftovers to use them up.

I'm hanging at home today because the property management is doing their periodic inspection of smoke detectors and pipes. Because they need access to the bathroom, I can't just lock up the cats and there's no way I'm sticking them in their crates all day (the time window is 9.30 to 4.30) so I'm here so the cats don't freak and scuttle out an open door. It's nearly 2.00 now and they haven't been by yet, so I made the quiche for lunch and am getting caught up on soaps while I monitor what's going on at work via email and IM.

Labels: ,