Monday, April 27, 2009

I made another loaf of bread yesterday, this time using whole wheat flour and a slightly more involved recipe that was actually easier because it only needed one rise. The bread came out beautifully, and makes what are quite possibly the best peanut butter and jelly sandwiches ever.

This is what the cast iron skillets looked like after going through about 3.5 hours on the self-cleaning cycle in the oven and a vigorous scrubbing with steel wool. Yesterday I coated the insides with oil and left them in the oven while the bread baked and will probably be using the larger one to make socca (skillet flatbread) this week, so they're well on their way to being reseasoned.

My mother expressed some surprise the other day that I can produce a reasonable poached egg. In fact I produced two reasonable (though not very pretty) poached eggs to accompany a warm (or cold) lentil salad loosely based on a recipe from Bon Apétit, but I omitted the parsley and added chopped carrots and celery. You plunk the poached egg on top and it's very tasty, especially if you throw on a dollop of pesto, which I did for the second meal. Gourmet.com had recommended using up the leftover pesto from the pea soup recipe with shirred eggs, but I'd been thinking about the lentil salad already so just decided to combine them all.

Still fighting sinus problems while waiting for the antibiotics to take hold. I've been having some lightheadedness and louder tinnitus caused by the congestion, and just feel really fatigued in general. Trying to stay home as much as possible, though I might have to go to the grocery store today.

Labels: