Wednesday, May 13, 2009

On Monday I achieved a complete sock. Please hold your applause until completion of the companion. This one used a little bit more yarn than the last one that sprung a hole, so I finished the toe with some of the undyed Shelburne Farms yarn and it worked out splendidly. Last summer I compulsively knit dishcloths to keep from losing my mind and killing all our clients; this summer I think I will be compulsively knitting socks.

Late last week I received an "abnormal" medical test result and freaked out all weekend before I was able to get in to see the doctor first thing Monday and find out that it's not panic-worthy. For three days there I pretty much lost my appetite, and even though I now know that there's no reason for concern, there are only a few things that sound tasty. Last night I decided to make lemon rice pudding from Laurie Colwin's book More Home Cooking. She warns against using arborio rice, but it's all I had and sure enough, it was too thick (it's so dense I could cut it into squares). Unfortunately I didn't think of making the pudding until just after 8 pm, so it didn't get done until nearly 11 and still needed to chill. I ate a huge helping for breakfast this morning and it's really, really good. The entire time it was cooking, all I could think of was A.A. Milne's poem "Rice Pudding."

Labels: ,